Solved

Unexpected behaviour when login on multiple devices

• 9 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

A few weeks ago I was experimenting with transferring subscriptions if a user makes a logout or logs in with their login ("test1") from another device. Until recently, subscriptions were transferred to another device or login, but were canceled on the old login and device.  Now I observe that it is enough to enter user Id on other devices and all devices will get a subscription, even if they have different google account. Anonymous ids are added to the "test1" account. So even those devices where the user left the account get subscriptions.  It turns out that users just tell each other userid and everyone can buy a subscription to only onсe.    How to restore the behavior where a user can use only one device and can't share a subscription only by passing his userid?

icon

Best answer by ryan 10 December 2021, 02:33

View original

4 replies

Badge +3

And one more problem when user logout then press restore purchases(expected a transfer subscription ), transferring logged in console:

"transferred_from": [    ….,    "test1"  ],  "transferred_to": [    "$RCAnonymousID:3825xxxxxxxx"  ]

but no subscription for user 3825  appear

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey @Sergey! RevenueCat has always linked a purchases to an App User ID, not a device, so if customers shared login information and the same App User ID is set on multiple devices they can all access the subscription at the same time. 

And one more problem when user logout then press restore purchases(expected a transfer subscription ), transferring logged in console:

"transferred_from": [    ….,    "test1"  ],  "transferred_to": [    "$RCAnonymousID:3825xxxxxxxx"  ]

but no subscription for user 3825  appear

You won’t see a new transaction appear for user 3825 here since they had a transaction transferred to them, a new transaction was not created. If you navigate to their customer record in RevenueCat you should see the subscription transfer event appear there. 

Badge +3

Hi @ryan .

linked a purchases to an App User ID

Without being linked to a google play account, but why?  How I can prevent this behaviour?  And how I can control this behaviour if somebody wants to by subscription for multiple devices? I mean how to control cost of subscription, cause price must be recalculated ( price x Ndevice)  

You won’t see a new transaction appear for user 3825 here since they had a transaction transferred to them, a new transaction was not created. If you navigate to their customer record in RevenueCat you should see the subscription transfer event appear there. 

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't put it right. I can see the transaction in the revenue console for both test1 and 3825( "transferred_from": [ …., "test1" ], "transferred_to": [ "$RCAnonymousID:3825xxxxxxxx" ]), but the subscription for user 3825 does not appear. Is this a delay or a malfunction or something else?

Badge +3

Today I receive a email , look like behaviour was changed:

Today we’re writing to let you know about two big improvements coming to RevenueCat:

• You can now share subscriptions not only between versions of the same app on different platforms (e.g., between iOS and Google Play Store), but also between different apps on the same platform.