Solved

original_purchase_date and re-subscribing to subscription

• 2 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

I am processing the REST JSON output from https://docs.revenuecat.com/reference#section-the-non-subscription-object . For a scenario I need the date when the user started the current subscription. As far as I understand the “original_purchase_date” provides the original date of purchase. This is fine as long as the user does not cancel and later re-subscribes. Is there a way to get the original purchase date of the re-subscription?

Best regards,

icon

Best answer by cody 8 October 2021, 17:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @MobApp!

We currently include a purchase_date property, which is the date of the latest renewal or purchase, and we include the original_purchase_date property, which is the first recorded purchase of that product.

We don’t currently include a field for the first purchase date after a cancellation, but you might be able to calculate this on your end by subscribing to webhooks and storing the dates in your own database based on the specific logic that you need. For example, you could store a cancellation date, then once a user resubscribes, store that date as the ‘new’ subscription start date.

Badge +2

@cody et al

Is original_purchase_date the same as the one Apple describes here?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/storekit/apptransaction

If not, is that App Tx available via RevenueCat (possibly a dumb question and I can call StoreKit myself).

I’m interested in the original purchase date of the app itself so I can "grandfather” older users in (i.e., not make older users suffer as I switch to subscription model).

Thanks for any insight (or links).

Best!
Dan

Badge +5

Is there an answer for this:

Is original_purchase_date  from Revenuecat  = to the original date of purchase of the App (whether it is a paid App  or  a Subscription App) or is it just the specific original Subscription purchase date. I too am trying to target original paid users (old users) by date

Badge +2

@michael-sozanski I’m not thinking about this topic right now, but Revenue Cat will respond to email inquiries better. If you do get a response from them, please post it here for others to benefit.

Good luck. Also if you want to converse about the switch from paid to subs with another dev, hit me up at dan [at] mididesigner [dot] com.

Thanks!

Badge

Does anybody has a response from Revenue Cat on this?

@michael-sozanski’s query exactly describes my question as well:
“Is original_purchase_date  from Revenuecat  = to the original date of purchase of the App (whether it is a paid App  or  a Subscription App) or is it just the specific original Subscription purchase date. I too am trying to target original paid users (old users) by date”

Badge

For anybody looking for an answer, I emailed RC support and got back this reply:

Answer is YES, original_purchase_date = “to the original date of purchase of the App”.
The only place that you will see original_purchase_date mean something different than 'date the app is first downloaded' is if you pull it from the entitlementInfo object  (where it would mean 'date this entitlement was first purchased'). However, pulling it from the customerInfo object, it should always produce the date that the app was first downloaded.

And YES, original_purchase_date could be used instead of original_application_version to give old paid users grandfathered access to premium features.

Note: In sandbox, original_purchase_date will always be “some date back in 2013”, and original_application_versionis always “1.0” - so testing may be challenging outside of production.