Question

Android min SDK 24

• 16 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

Hello!

We are wondering how hard of a requiremente is the min sdk 24 in the latest version of the Android package. Researching a bit it looks like it’s only used in the new Paywalls UI feature.

Would it be safe to not increment the minimum sdk if we are not using the Paywalls UI functionality? Currently our minimum is 21, and we would like to avoid incrementing it if possible.

We are using RevenueCat on Flutter, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Jorge, the minSdk 24 requirement is only for the paywalls package (https://pub.dev/packages/purchases_ui_flutter). Our base purchases package (https://pub.dev/packages/purchases_flutter) still has a minSdk of 19. 

You should be able to update the library without having to increase your minSdk. Please do let us know if you run into any issues and we will be happy to help!

Badge +4

Great to hear!

In that case I think it could be worthwhile to update the changelog in the non-ui package to avoid confusion, or say something like “if using purchases_ui_flutter ...”. I can see other users running into the same question.

Pub.dev allows pushing updates with +n, common practice when changing files other than code, like editing docs or changelog. So “6.15.0+1” could be pushed on top.

Thank you!

Badge +2

Hello,

Just to let you know, I’m only using the purchases_flutter package ( not the purchases_ui_flutter ) in  version 6.15.0. 

I dit not upgrade the minSdkVersion value ( staying to 19 ) but it’s not working. I’m getting an error message like I havent any product to offer when I try to purchase something.

Reverting the package to 6.6.0 works, like intended.

Back to version 6.15.0, upgrading minSdkVersion to 24 seems to fix the issue. 

Not sure how can I help you further but if someone is running into similar issues, you can either try to revert to previous version or upgrade your minSdkVersion according to your needs.

Thanks for your work, this service is amazing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Jorge,

That’s valid feedback. We currently have a unified changelog for both packages, which resulted in this situation but we will try to make it clearer in the future to avoid this confusion

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @talemeapp,

I was just testing our base SDK with an app using minsdk 19 and it was working for me. Also, it seems strange since the app shouldn’t compile if you’re trying to use the new paywalls package with a lower min sdk, so I think it must be a different issue. Would you mind opening a different post for that or contact support from the RC dashboard referencing this post?

In the meantime, could you provide more details on how exactly it’s failing for you?

• Is it fetching the products (getOfferings), or making a purchase?
  • Does it happen in different devices/emulators?
  • Could you provide full debug logs since the time the app is open?

Hopefully we can get your issues sorted out soon! Let us know if you have any more info as well.

Badge +2

Hello @toni-rico,

Sorry for the lack of details,

Here is what I did :

• In minsdk 19 with purchases_flutter in 6.15.0, I was able to compile and launch my app. The issue occured when I used the purchasePackage() function.
    Some error messages ( code 5 ) were displayed in my console. (I didn’t take screenshot at this time)
  • When I reverted back on version 6.6.0, the error messages were gone, and the payment process was working again.
  • So, I check the release note, I noted that we would have to upgrade the minsdk in order to make the other package to work. I gave it a shot even if I was using the original package, and it worked. 
    Just to clarify : I upgraded to minsdk 24 and purchases_flutter 6.15.0. Now everything is working fine.

I dont think its related to other packages of the flutter community because this was the only change I did on this day. I hope it will help other if they get stucked on this.

Have a nice day 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @talemeapp, that’s interesting… If you run into this issue again after upgrading, could you share debug logs reproducing this issue? I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue with those details unfortunately. Just to let you know, code 5 refers to `ProductNotAvailableForPurchaseError` so not sure if it was a problem of some kind with the product… debug logs might be able to help us find more.