Question

Sunsetting existing app (Android and iOS)

• 26 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi all,

We have an app in both iOS and Android stores and we use RC for consolidating our subscriptions.

There are currently few thousand paying subscribers (both Android, iOS and Stripe). The decision has been made to sunset the application and migrate the users to another service.

We are looking at;

1. Removing ability to purchase annual subscription. Users can still purchase and use monthly.
  2. Stop existing annual subscribers from renewing (is that possible - what is the best way?)
  3. In the next 12-14 months - slowly nudge users to another service/app.

I guess my question is;

1. What is the best way of doing this?
  2. Is it possible to refund users earlier - or at least set their subscriptions to non-renewable (iOS/Android/Stripe). Stripe we seem to have a full control.
  3. Are there any other gotchas?
  4. To remove the app - do we simply unpublish it from the stores? Will it automatically cancel subscriptions of existing users and refund them?

Thanks heaps! 

Luke

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Hey @luke-57bdb0,

I can help answer your questions below:

> 1. What is the best way of doing this?

This depends on your specific circumstances but generally you should try to give your customers access to anything they paid for for as long as possible. Additionally, working on preventing new purchases and winding down existing purchases should be done as early as possible.

> 2. Is it possible to refund users earlier - or at least set their subscriptions to non-renewable (iOS/Android/Stripe). Stripe we seem to have a full control.

For Android, you do have the ability to revoke and refund subscriptions: https://www.revenuecat.com/reference/revoke-a-google-subscription

If you simply want to cancel the subscription to let it reach its end without renewing use this instead: https://www.revenuecat.com/reference/cancel-a-google-subscription

Unfortunately Apple doesn't provide any sort of way to refund or cancel subscriptions. One thing you can do is provide messaging in the app to let customers know to cancel their subscriptions proactively. Additionally, when you're ready, you can remove your subscription product from sale. This will cancel all customer’s subscriptions so they don't renew and prevent new purchases.

> Are there any other gotchas?

Any actions that rely on an app update (like hiding the paywall for example) may not cover every single user since they may not update. Better to rely on server side actions (like deleting your offering in RevenueCat) to do things like this.

> To remove the app - do we simply unpublish it from the stores? Will it automatically cancel subscriptions of existing users and refund them?

That should work and will cancel everyone's subscriptions but Apple and Google recommend a more gradual wind down, similar to what I described above. You can avoid more issues like many customers requesting refunds all at once by doing it gradually (it sounds like you have 12 months to wind it down which is great.)