Solved

Multiple offerings vs custom identifiers

• 29 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

It’s unclear from your documentation what the recommended approach is when a company has two subscription levels (e.g. Basic and Pro). The Entitlements documentation clearly shows two separate subscription levels of “gold” and “platinum” in the images (below), but then the Offerings documentation only really explains what to do if you have a single subscription level (and then you choose the Monthly, Annual, etc identifiers). The recommendations on the forums seems to go from “use separate offerings” to “use a custom identifier”. 

Based on the example image you have on the entitlements documentation below, I’m assuming you’d recommend keeping both tiers in a single offering, but using customer identifiers instead of the default ones (e.g. gold_monthly, gold_annual, platinum_life, etc).

I’d strongly encourage you to add this 2-tier setup to your Offerings documentation, since it’s a very common scenario, and it was really unclear to me what the best approach was.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by kaitlin 31 March 2023, 23:18

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @Stevie Clifton,

What we probably see the most often with apps that have multiple levels of service is to have the default offering then packages separated by duration (ex. monthly, annual). Within each package, the products for all levels of service could live (ex. monthly package →  basic_annual and pro_annual products).

I can definitely check into our Offerings documentation and see how we can be more clear with examples. Thanks for the feedback!

Badge

Hey @Stevie Clifton,

What we probably see the most often with apps that have multiple levels of service is to have the default offering then packages separated by duration (ex. monthly, annual). Within each package, the products for all levels of service could live (ex. monthly package →  basic_annual and pro_annual products).

Actually, inside package only one product for each platform can live.
I have the same problem - I have two tiers (gold/platinum) in my app.
And I can’t add inside single package (let’s say Monthly package with default identifier) two products - gold_1month and platinum_1month.
Moreover if I’m creating two different packages, I have to give them custom identifiers which is not good and not recommended in your docs and it’s also generates some debug errors in log.

Badge +1

This is problematic for me too

Badge

This is problematic for me too

I don’t know, why this case is marked as closed, because it’s not solved at all 

Badge +4

The offering setup works when you want to break each offering down by product duration and have a toggle to switch to a different offering, but it does not work if you want to display both offerings side by side, especially if you want to switch them on the fly for retention offers etc.

Badge

I agree this is confusing and it doesn’t look like the documentation has been updated to reflect this concern. This is especially problematic if you have several tiers (entitlements) like Basic and Pro, and want to present each tier differently within your app.

@Stevie Clifton how did you end up structuring your offerings and packages with multiple tiers?

I.e. we want to have Basic Tier with monthly and annual sub, and a Pro Tier with monthly and annual sub.

cc: @kaitlin 

We did two tiers / two entitlements each with monthly and annual and used custom identifiers. Attached screenshot of offering structure.

Not related to this question on organization but we ended up getting rid of one. We did an RC paywall roast recently and the main feedback was two tiers was too much thinking. We did an experiment and without the other tier we not only had more revenue (33%) but more total subscribers (15%). The two tiers made people think too much and subscribe less. https://www.revenuecat.com/webinars/roast-my-paywall-live-episode-3/ @20 min mark.