Solved

Entitlement is active after a refund

• 22 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hey,

I can see in my app (iOS) that users who become premium users (subscribers) and then claim for a refund, they still considered to have isActive true in their entitlement.

To check that - When I start the app (in the appDelegate), I use the PurchasesDelegate to check what the current status of the user when he enters the app:

if purchaserInfo.entitlements[Constants.entitlementID]?.isActive == true {
// USER IS PREMIUM
} else {
// USER IS NOT PREMIUM
}

Hence, I assume that if a user asked for a refund he will no longer be entitled to be active, but I can see that users are still getting isActive true.

What am I doing wrong? Is anyone else encountered that?

Or, is there other if statement that I can do which is more accurate?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by cody 8 October 2021, 16:24

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @Adir Kol! 👋

You’ll want to be sure that you are refreshing your purchaser info often by calling getPurchaserInfo. We cache purchaser info for approximately 5 minutes, so as long as you continue refreshing and don’t store the purchaser info locally, the user will lose access after a refund.

We don’t ever push data to clients, so you’ll need to be sure you are refreshing as purchaser info won’t update automatically (except after an app launch or a new purchase).

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @cody ,

Thanks you for writing.

I guess getPurchaserInfo is the purchaserInfo object (as there’s no method getPurchaserInfo in Swift.).

I’m using the purchaserInfo in the didReceiveUpdated delegate method

func purchases(_ purchases: Purchases, didReceiveUpdated purchaserInfo: Purchases.PurchaserInfo) {

if purchaserInfo.entitlements[Constants.entitlementID]?.isActive == true {
// USER IS PREMIUM
} else {
// USER IS NOT PREMIUM
}
}

I’m calling it on the app launch (AppDelegeate), and never store it locally.
And yet, I can still see users who claimed for a refund stay premium on app launch (a way after 5 minutes).

Can you double check that refunded users’ entitlement is not getting isActive true ? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @cody 

I’m still seeing this misbehaviour.

Can you please double check that users who did refund are actually getting isActive = false ?

Here’s for example user in RC in my app who made a refund on April 2021, and still probably gets isActive true:

I’m getting the feeling that is a bug in Revenue Cat that allows users who claimed for a refund to still be active subscribers.

Please assist!

Thanks,

Adir

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @Adir Kol!

Sorry for the delay here. Just relying on the delegate method is not enough- you’ll need to call:

Purchases.shared.purchaserInfo(...)

This will fetch the latest PurchaserInfo from our servers (with a brief cache, around 5 minutes locally). Here’s our docs for more information: https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/purchaserinfo#get-user-information

The delegate method is called when PurchaserInfo is updated locally from another method (like fetching PurchaserInfo as mentioned above, making a purchase, or restoring a purchase), but it won’t be called when the info is updated server-side, as we don’t push data to the client. Additionally, when the app launches, this method will be called with the ‘old’ PurchaserInfo, which could contain outdated information. It’s important to fetch new data often.

RevenueCat accurately tracks refunds and subscription status- once a user is refunded, their entitlements are no longer considered active for that product, unless they renew and start the subscription over.