Question

Multiple subscription groups for experiments - risk of double subscription

• 28 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

I want to do A/B testing for subscription prices on iOS. The revenuecat docs recommends to “Use distinct Subscription Groups on the App Store for each RevenueCat Offering when testing new prices”.

Here’s what I would then setup:

Price 1 subscription group:

• Annual - $39.99
  • Monthly - $7.99

Price 2 subscription group:

• Annual - $19.99
  • Monthly - $3.99

I start the experiment, some users are being shown the first subscription group, some others the second. A week lapsed, price 1 group is the clear winner, yay! I stop the experiment. The faq says the following: 

When I end an Experiment, what Offering will be served to the customers who were enrolled in that Experiment?

When an Experiment is ended, all customers previously enrolled in it will be served the Default Offering the next time they reach a paywall in your app.

Therefore everyone is now presented with the same offering that corresponds to the price 1 subscription group on my paywall. Let’s suppose someone from the retired price 2 subscription group wants to upgrade from monthly to annual, they would now be presented price 1 subscription group and instead of upgrading, it would subscribe again, the user now has 2 subscription.

Am I missing something? 

2 replies

Badge +4

Okay, a potential way to fix this would be to remove the paywall when the user has subscribed and let the user manage their subscription upgrade only from apple’s website/settings app by redirecting to the managementURL provided by the SDK. I think this is how it was intended to work, but now I cannot run experiments because I cannot target the app version for them, which means users that have not updated will run into this “double-subscription” issue 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hey @Maxenceh,

You would need additional logic in your app to allow the user to upgrade, either by recording or knowing which subscription group they're in and showing them the corresponding offer or just send them to the device settings screen by using the managementURL as you described. I do think that's correct that this shouldn't be dependent on the app version. Instead you can inspect their purchases to see which subscription group they're part of.