Skip to main content

I’m look at the targeting logic to choose a different offering to show a user based on either custom attributes or placements sent from the app.  I don’t see why you need placements, in terms of you could just create a custom attribute with a name like “paywall-opened-from” and have different values depending on where the user launched the paywall from e.g. “first-run”, “settings”, membership-page” etc. Why have this separate concept of a placement along side custom attributes, what are the benefits of using them vs. just creating an attribute to define that logic?

Thanks.

Hi,

Custom attributes define an attribute for a set user, for example if you had an app where you’d show different paywalls based on your user’s pet, then you could just set a paywall for dogs and another one for cats. It would be out of the box the logic of showing one paywall or another and it would just depend on the attribute.

Placements on the other hand doesn’t depend on the user per se, it shows where in the app the user is. For example, I want to show a different paywall if you open it from the home screen or the settings screen. The same user can see 2 different offerings based on where it has triggered the paywall opening. What you mentioned could be done but it’s prone to many issues and race conditions. 

Best!