Solved

Should subscriptions need to be linked to stores ids or to emails?

• 12 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

Hi

I have set the RC id linked to my users accounts’ unique identifiers and I thought that was ok. So the RC accounts are linked to my app accounts (a user, theoretically could have one account with subscription and another without it, imagine like a user having a professional Dropbox subscriptions and a personal one accessed via the same device)

But after an Apple rejection when they asked me to make possible that users conserve their subscriptions even if they upgrade phone, then I’m questioning myself if this is the right approach. It seems that, as subscriptions can only be cancelled via the stores menu, then all the accounts accessed via the same device would act the same.

Is this the “standard” way to make it work? Subscriptions linked to Stores accounts and not to my-app accounts?

I don’t have a preference, 99.9% of the cases my users will have just one account. I just want to make my app compliant and to make it work in the standard way.

icon

Best answer by ryan 13 November 2021, 01:09

View original

5 replies

Badge +3

Hey,
How would you handle the case where an existing paying user creates another account on our app but using the same store account?  How to prevent him from freely duplicating its purchased products to its new app account (that could be his friend’s account)?

Badge +1

Hey,
How would you handle the case where an existing paying user creates another account on our app but using the same store account?  How to prevent him from freely duplicating its purchased products to its new app account (that could be his friend’s account)?

This is exactly what I am facing while managing my app’s user account vs device system accounts. Have you found any solutions yet? there does not seem to be any good solution. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

RevenueCat links subscription status to App User IDs, not store accounts. This is the only way to allow a customer that purchased through iOS access their same subscription on Android or Web (by logging in and setting the same App User ID). 

If you don’t provide an App User ID, that’s okay, RevenueCat generates a random one for you.

Regardless of which route you go, you’ll probably want to put a restore purchases button in your app. This is what a lot of customers look for after upgrading their phone or reinstalling your app. https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/restoring-purchases

Badge +3

Thanks for the reply @ryan 

On that page it’s mentioned  

It is recommended that all apps have some way for users to trigger the restoreTransactions method, even if you require all customers to create accounts.

What’s the reason for the previous recommendation even if “RevenueCat links subscription status to App User IDs, not store accounts.” Is it only for store terms compliance?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

What’s the reason for the previous recommendation even if “RevenueCat links subscription status to App User IDs, not store accounts.” Is it only for store terms compliance?

Having a restore button can help customers get access to previously purchased subscriptions if they get a new device and/or forget their login credentials to your app. It’s required for compliance unless you require all customers to create an account before purchasing - Apple may be tightening up restrictions on what kind of apps are allowed to do this as well (requiring accounts).