Question

How do you structure offerings and packages if you have two Tiers (e.g. basic and pro)?

• 28 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I don’t think I’ve been able to find a clear answer to this so I thought I’d try asking here.

Simple scenario: I have monthly and annual subscriptions for a Basic tier and a Pro tier. I want to present both tiers to the user at the same time so they can choose whether they want basic or pro.

When I tried this with a single offering, I found that when I pull in all 4 packages then I can’t really separate them by tiers because I don’t really know which is which.

So I was thinking of having two offerings instead, one for Basic tier and one for Pro, each would have 2 packages (for monthly and annual). Would that be an acceptable practice to go about?

Thanks.

This post has been closed for comments

3 replies

Badge

Hi, rather than having two offerings, I would recommend reflecting this in the product names. Such as doing monthly.basic, monthly.pro, annual.basic, annual.pro – this approach tends to work well for most developers. 

Hi @Haley Pace , I have considered that but it seems a little bit too hacky.  Moreover, what you’re suggesting is not entirely possible because automatically-generated package identifiers cannot be duplicated for the same duration, i.e. if I create one Monthly  (generated $rc_monthly) then I cannot have another  Monthly. So I’m forced to use Custom package identifiers.

I feel like support for having multiple tiers and entitlements is an after thought when it comes to structuring them properly and makes it very cumbersome.

Badge

It would help if offerings.current.availablePackages[].product displayed which entitlement the product belonged to, that way at least I can do some manual filtering to show the packages based on the entitlement.

But otherwise I’m forced to use 2 different offerings, one for each entitlement. Which in itself isn’t that bad, but then we are losing out on using experiments.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi, rather than having two offerings, I would recommend reflecting this in the product names. Such as doing monthly.basic, monthly.pro, annual.basic, annual.pro – this approach tends to work well for most developers.