Skip to main content
Question

Can Experiments be run for an offering that is not the default offering?

• 19 August 2024
  • 1 reply

I want to test Experiments, but I am not sure I want to upgrade until I know Experiments will work for me, since you can’t downgrade.

I have two Paywalls, one my default Paywall, for the “Upgrade” app version, and one a “Tip Jar” for consumables. At this point, I want to run experiments on different Tip Jar offerings to see which ones will evoke greater success. But I’m not sure how to do this because, for the non-default offering, I need to set the name of the offering in the app programmatically.

Can an experiment be done for my Tip Jar if this is my current setup?

Also, wouldn’t it make sense for RevenueCat to have more than one default offering, like have the main default, but sub defaults for when we display multiple paywalls in an app, that we could change them without having to launch a new version of the app?

Hi @AppDev777! You can test any offering against any other offering in experiments - you don’t have to use the ‘default’ offering. What experiments do behind the scenes is, when a user gets enrolled in the experiment and a variant set for them, that becomes their ‘default’ offering. So when you show the ‘default’ offering in your app, it will be the variant offering from the experiment rather than the main ‘default’ offering.

You can also set up targeting rules to achieve the “sub-default” behavior you’re looking for. For example, if you’re running an experiment, the users in that experiment will receive the variant offering they were assigned. For the rest of your users, you can create targeting rules. If none of the rules apply to any of these users, they will then receive your ‘default’ offering.