Solved

transferring app to another google play store and app store account

• 25 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

transferring app to another google play store and app store account with revenue cat without any income loss.

icon

Best answer by tina 26 August 2021, 00:27

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I can reply by myself. I tried to reconnect Google Cloud project with existing Google Developer API from the old Developer Console account to the new one. It doesn’t help, still see credentials issue. After that I decided to regenerate a new Google Cloud project and service credentials from scratch according to RevenueCat instructions in the docs. It helps. After 1-2 hours the app was able to use new credentials to successfully validate purchases. I didn’t redeploy the app and keep everything as is. Only updated new JSON with credentials to RevenueCat dashboard. I hope it helps someone else in the same situation.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hey @Alvaro Valenzuela 

If you also giving the buyer your RevenueCat account, you will not need to change the app code. If the buyer sets up their own RevenueCat account, they will need to update the public API key within the SDK. If new credentials are needed, be sure that they update this on the RevenueCat app settings page as well. 

Hi @tina 

I have transferred my Android app from one developer account to another. Both accounts belongs to me, transfer was done due to change in the country of residence. Transfer was done via standard Play Console process for transferring apps. 

Looks like after the transfer new users are not able to get paid content with the message “There was a credentials issue. Check the underlying error for more details”. It is currently in production and I try to understand what should be done from my side with service credentials on the new developer account so that both:

• my existing users that have purchased the app on my old account can continue to access previously purchased content
  • my new users who try to purchase an app on my new developer account can do this properly

According to feedback from my user it looks like she was able to purchase the app (I see purchases coming on my new developer account), but not able to see the app upgraded to premium version. Is it any side effect that I should fix or I should just wait when revenue cat automatically start serving correctly purchases without any additional work from my side?

Please reply, it is quite urgent, taking into account that my app is broken in production :(

Badge +2

Recently i’ve transferred apps between Google Play accounts without creating new Google Cloud project for Revenue Cat. I figured out that the missed step in the responses above is to grant permissions to the Revenue Cat service account from the new Google Play Console account.

My steps to successful transfer apps with the same Revenue Cat setup were following:

1. Give an Owner permission in the Google Cloud project to the target account
  2. Unlink previous Google Play Console account from the Google Cloud service API (All apps → Setup → Api access)
  3. Link target Google Play Console to the Google Cloud project (All apps → Setup → Api access). After linking you will see the revenue-cat-servce-account which is connected to the Google Cloud project but has not required permissions.
  4. Grant permissions to the financial data for the revenue-cat-servce-account in the target Google Play Console.

After these steps have been completed Revenue Cat dashboard shown a data from the new Google Play Console account.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi @GO TO THE MOON LIMITED!

If you're transferring your Android app to a different Google Play developer account, there may be a disruption in the app's functionality because the service credentials will have to be regenerated on the new account. Service credentials can take up to 36 hours to activate, so during this time your users won't be able to purchase any in-app purchases. However, they'll have access to their existing purchases during that time.

We recommend not transferring Android apps unless it's required for your situation, e.g. selling an app.

As for App Store Connect, if the App Specific Shared secret changes when you transfer the app, then things will break until it's updated to the correct value in the RevenueCat dashboard. We've had other developers transfer apps before and we haven't heard of any issues. If it does change, and you quickly update it in RevenueCat, then things should recover just fine since we'll automatically retry and failures that occur.

Badge +3

thanks for your reply. that is very informative...

Badge +3

Hi @GO TO THE MOON LIMITED!

If you're transferring your Android app to a different Google Play developer account, there may be a disruption in the app's functionality because the service credentials will have to be regenerated on the new account. Service credentials can take up to 36 hours to activate, so during this time your users won't be able to purchase any in-app purchases. However, they'll have access to their existing purchases during that time.

We recommend not transferring Android apps unless it's required for your situation, e.g. selling an app.

Hi Tina…. I’m selling the app…. Do I have to change something in the app code or with the new credentials is ok?

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hey @Alvaro Valenzuela 

If you also giving the buyer your RevenueCat account, you will not need to change the app code. If the buyer sets up their own RevenueCat account, they will need to update the public API key within the SDK. If new credentials are needed, be sure that they update this on the RevenueCat app settings page as well. 

Badge +1

Ok - just to clarify I have moved an app from one Google play account to another (one was compromised by a given person) the app has not actually changed and I have not changed anything on the revenue cat side - the app is due for a new release soon - do I need to reconfigure and get a new API key etc ? - the previous google account has been closed.

Thanks for you help on this matter

James