Solved

One of the subscriber's App User ID is missing

• 29 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +7
  • 11 replies

Recently one user subscribed to our annual plan, however the webhook failed to proceed because the App user ID returned only the RC Anonymous ID ( $RCAnonymousID… ).

I have no idea why it happens and not sure what to do next, all I can do is wait for him to contact us. Any advice?

FYR, all other users has successfully logged in with the correct App user ID.

icon

Best answer by ryan 8 December 2021, 02:43

View original

7 replies

Badge +7

ok, thank you.

Is there a way to test the restore purchases flow on dev?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@Kev this is a bit related to this post, and “anonymous purchases” in general. I’m not sure if it’s a 100% avoidable scenario since Apple / Google only require a signed in Apple / Google account and there’s cases in where a transaction could go through and an App User ID isn’t set - which is why the RCAnonymousIDs exist in the first place. 

In general, if you’re able to set the customer facing subscription status from the SDK directly, then have more asynchronous processes to ensure eventual consistency of server-side subscription status your customers are at least immune to these cases where things get out of sync. If realtime server-side subscription status is a requirement, then having a way for the customer to restore purchases and manually trigger a re-sync would be my recommendation.

You could have a “Restore Purchases” button in your app that required the customer be signed in (if that’s how your app is supposed to work) by checking the `isAnonymous` property on `PurchaserInfo`. Then if that customer triggers a restore, you know you’ll get a `TRANSFER` webhook soon if that customer was accidentally logged in with a different account or something.

I’m going to share both of these threads with our product team as well for feedback!

Badge +7

Just wanna add one more thing, have you received any reports that RC is being listed in any anti-tracking app?

Badge +7

One thing I can think of is if .reset() or .logout() was called before the event was dispatched, or maybe the user moved to a different device and didn’t log in? 

Not possible in my case.

Another thing to check is the `aliases` array in the webhook and if there’s any non-anonymous IDs sent through that array.

We’ve already check all aliases from our webhook if the app_user_id is an anonymous id.

Do you have any example Event IDs we can look up? 

623b179d-119c-4976-ab75-05a0dd90c5bd

Edit: Sadly, this user has issued a refund already.

Badge +4

One thing I can think of is if .reset() or .logout() was called before the event was dispatched, or maybe the user moved to a different device and didn’t log in? Hard to say exactly, but the app_user_id field should be the latest non-anonymous ID, if set. Another thing to check is the `aliases` array in the webhook and if there’s any non-anonymous IDs sent through that array.

Can you take a look at this Event IDs :

- 66BE2A05-8095-42A1-90C3-34F4A2C509E0
- 824593DE-FFFF-48C3-BA56-C31D9B95DCD2
- 49EEE057-34F4-46AF-AA06-063D69ACBDB3
- 75EC3B94-3F97-45B3-AB62-372A86874864

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

One thing I can think of is if .reset() or .logout() was called before the event was dispatched, or maybe the user moved to a different device and didn’t log in? Hard to say exactly, but the app_user_id field should be the latest non-anonymous ID, if set. Another thing to check is the `aliases` array in the webhook and if there’s any non-anonymous IDs sent through that array.

Badge +4

I also have the same issue. Revenuecat send a correct APP_USER_ID for INITIAL_PURCHASE, CANCELLATION and UNCANCELLATION, but the EXPIRATION event does not contain the APP_USER_ID, only anonymous id was given.