Question

Offer code redemption via URL in App Store - is offer code exposed?

• 13 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello! I’ve been having a hard time finding a definitive answer in Apple’s docs. As some of these offer code flows appear to only be fully testable in production, it’d be helpful to see if I can get an answer ahead of time.

If we use RevenueCat’s recommended method for redeeming App Store offer codes - that is, creating a custom URL and linking to the App Store where the code is automatically redeemed, does anyone know if the code is exposed to the subscriber at any point in that flow?

Is the offer code shown in the customer’s emailed receipt from the App Store?

We are investigating to see if we can use offer codes to drive discounts in the App Store without exposing those codes to users. So if there is any part of this flow that might expose that code, we’d love to know.

Thank you!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hello!

Honestly they could probably still find the code somehow, since the code is exposed in the URL they would just have to see the URL and we cant guarantee that they would not see the URL. 

I can pass this along to the team as something we could look into, but as of now I cant guarantee that the URL would never be seen. 

More information about this could be found here: https://www.revenuecat.com/docs/ios-subscription-offers#option-2-redirect-to-app-store-app

Badge +1

We were thinking to have a button in the app which fires the link action to the app store to obscure the link that way - but definitely understood that if the URL was exposed the code would be. Still curious about that redemption flow in the app store. Thank you!