Solved

Release pre-built .xcframework: why dSYMs are separated?

• 29 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

We’re using Carthage to consume Purchase.xcframework. It’s possible to download the pre-built xcframework within the release as described here. However, your prebuilt xcframework doesn’t contain dSYMs inside. I downloaded xcframework.zip from GitHub and discovered all the dSYMs outside .xcframework itself, in the separate folder.

The RevenueCat official iOS SDK Installation guide suggests to run the carthage update with `--no-use-binaries` option which triggers a local build of xcframework. BTW this also might cause a problem such in my case where I don’t have swiftlint installed and getting this error on build:

```

Adding homebrew bin folder to PATH (/usr/local/bin)

error: SwiftLint not installed in /usr/local/bin, download from https://github.com/realm/SwiftLint

Command PhaseScriptExecution emitted errors but did not return a nonzero exit code to indicate failure

```

Question:
Why not to contain dSYMs inside release pre-built `.xcframework`? Thus, we can run just `carthage update --no-use-binaries` and download a pre-built xcframework with dSYMs included. No need to build it locally just to generate dSYMs.

Thank you,

German.

PS This is my Carthage usage information:

* `carthage version`: 0.38.0
* `xcodebuild -version`: Xcode 13.2 Build version 13C90
* Are you using `--no-build`? NO
* Are you using `--no-use-binaries`? NO
* Are you using `--use-submodules`? NO
* Are you using `--cache-builds`? NO
* Are you using `--new-resolver`? NO
* Are you using `--use-xcframeworks`? YES

**Cartfile**
```
github "RevenueCat/purchases-ios" == 3.13.1
```

**Actual outcome**
The pre-built xcframework downloaded without dSYMs included

**Expected outcome**
dSYMs should be contained inside xcframeworks directory

icon

Best answer by Andy 29 December 2021, 21:10

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’m actually unsure why it worked without further changes this time! Maybe there’s something still cached from when you were doing `--no-use-binaries`?

For my test project, I got the IRGen issue and could only get it to go away by adding a dummy Objective-C file and a bridging header to the project. 

If you get the issue again, give that a shot! 

Badge +1

Hey @Andy .

I gave it a shot as you asked. Even though Purchases.xcframework now contains dSYMs, which is great, I didn’t get the couldn't IRGen expression error which is also great! 

But can you explain why I didn’t get the error this time? What’s the difference between generating dSYMs locally and getting it as part of the pre-built xcframework?

Here’s the test I performed:

• carthage update purchases-ios --use-xcframeworks
  • Cleaned DerivedData
  • Cleaned Build Folder
  • Re-opened the project
  • Run
  • po object

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@GermanVelibekovHouzz Thanks for the very detailed report. 

I updated the release in GitHub to include the dSYMs, so if you try doing carthage update purchases-ios --use-xcframeworks, you should now get the dSYMs. 

As for the couldn't IRGen expression issue, that’s a tough one. I tried it out and was able to reproduce on my machine (as long as I delete derived data every time and restart xcode). 

I went into a bit of a rabbit hole, but I did find this easy workaround from steipete’s blog that points to this SO answer. I tried it out and it worked like a charm for me. Could you give it a shot? 

If it works for you too, I’ll add it to the docs. I apologize for the inconvenience. XCFrameworks are great, but they’re very tricky to get right from an SDK developer’s perspective. 

Badge +1

Hey @Andy !

Thank you for your reply and work!

I have another problem tho.

As for now, when we run carthage update --no-use-binaries --use-xcframeworks

as mentioned in documentation dSYMs are generated locally. However, when rest of the team debug and try to po an object they encounter the following problem:

error: virtual filesystem overlay file '/Users/germanv/Library/Caches/org.carthage.CarthageKit/DerivedData/13.2_13C90/purchases-ios/3.13.1/Build/Intermediates.noindex/Purchases.build/Release-iphonesimulator/Purchases.build/all-product-headers.yaml' not found error: virtual filesystem overlay file '/Users/germanv/Library/Caches/org.carthage.CarthageKit/DerivedData/13.2_13C90/purchases-ios/3.13.1/Build/Intermediates.noindex/Purchases.build/Release-iphonesimulator/Purchases.build/all-product-headers.yaml' not found error: 

couldn't IRGen expression. Please check the above error messages for possible root causes.

There’re possible solutions to this. However, for now we just used the pre-built Purchases.xcframework not containing the dSYMs from the current release.

Now, when you added dSYMs to be part of the pre-built xcframework, how do you prevent that issue above? Does running a plugin mentioned in the PR differ from generating dSYMs locally with --no-use-binaries to include dSYMs?

As for the current release, I hope there dSYMs aren’t outside of pre-built xcframework on purpose.

Note: To test if it created the problem above:

• ​​​Clean Derived Data for your Test project where Purchases.xcframework is integrated with dSYMs included
  • Set breakpoint 
  • po some object in console during a runtime 

Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @GermanVelibekovHouzz!! 👋🏻

Thanks for reporting!! 

I confirmed that the dSYMs weren’t included in the .xcframework folder. 

I made a fix for it, currently in review. Once the fix is merged, I’ll update the .xcframework files in GitHub so you’ll be able to re-run carthage and get them. 

In order to get the dSYMs, though, you should use carthage with --use-xcframeworks and without --no-use-binaries

--use-xcframeworks will ensure that xcframeworks are used, and not using --no-use-binaries will ensure that you get the pre-compiled .xcframework which includes the dSYMs. It’ll also mean that you won’t have to have `swiftlint` installed. 

I’ll update the installation instructions when all of that’s wrapped up to reflect this. 

I apologize for the inconvenience. I just tested exporting a new .xcframework from the branch with the fix (fix/xcframework_not_including_dsyms) and it worked correctly, getting the dSYMs. 

Here’s the PR for reference. You can try it yourself by updating the entry in your Cartfile to

github "revenuecat/purchases-ios" "fix/xcframework_not_including_dsyms"

However, I’ll update the existing 3.13.1 release so you won’t have to do that, after the PR passes review. 

I’ll post again in this ticket when that’s done. 

Thanks again for reporting!