Question

Grandfathering Old Users in AppStoreConnect

Badge +3

Goal: I’d set up a monthly/yearly subscription plan for App Store users, and now would like to increase the price for new users. However, I’d like to grandfather the old users’ price (i.e. their subscription prices ideally wouldn’t change).

Setup: I originally created 2 new products in Apple/RevenueCat, created a new RevenueCat offering pointing to those products, and then made the new offering the default. Within my app, the new price is as expected! However, if a user goes to their payment settings, they can see ALL of the pricing. I have paying users across all 4 subscription products. 

Question: As I understand it, if I untick “Cleared for Sale” on the old products, old users’ subscriptions will stop. Is there a way to do this without disrupting the user? Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @James Roland!

Question: As I understand it, if I untick “Cleared for Sale” on the old products, old users’ subscriptions will stop. Is there a way to do this without disrupting the user? Thank you!

Instead of adding the new product prices to the existing Subscription Group, I’d recommend creating a new Subscription Group to prevent customers from switching to other products in the same group, and so that way you can remove the old offering/products from being visible to new customers.

You can keep the products attached to the same entitlement in RevenueCat though so the same level of access is unlocked from the purchases. You’ll just want to be cautious when you present the paywall, since the user could technically subscribe to the two separate subscription groups at the same time- so you’ll want to be sure you don’t give existing users the option to purchase the new subscription products.

Badge +3

This makes sense - thank you @cody !

Badge +4

@cody 

If we want to make a price increase and prevent the possibility of users getting back to the “old” price should their subscription lapse, would it make the most sense to simply increase the price on both stores and grandfather in existing users?

If we had new groups, call them GroupNew and GroupOld...ideally even someone who upgrades from the lower tier in GroupOld must upgrade to GroupNew. From what I understand, users that had a product from GroupOld could always subscribe to GroupOld products and potentially could subscribe to GroupNew simultaneously. It sounds like the only way to truly prevent this from happening within the subscription manager is increasing the subscription price on GroupOld instead.