Solved

Can an anonymous user with a subscription have multiple devices?

• 19 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Environment: iPadOS 14.

I understand that when an anonymous user reinstalls and deletes the app, caling Purchases.configure generates a new app ID, and when he calls restore, the purchase is transferred from his old anonymous ID to his new one.

What happens to an anonymous user’s ID if he buys a subscription on device A, then restores on device B.

Will device A still be logged in?

icon

Best answer by jazmine 23 August 2021, 21:54

View original

6 replies

Badge +2

Hello.  I'm also interested in understanding how installing the app on a new device with the same app store id is handled, when both devices are logged in with different anonymous revenue cat ids.   Thanks! 

Badge +4

I’d also like clarification on this.

My app uses just the RC anonymous id’s. A user made a purchase on iPhone and wants to also use it on her iPad. I told her to simply hit the restore button.

What will happen? Will she have to restore every time she switches device or will she be able to use it hassle free on both devices?

My Restore Behaviour setting is set to Transfer and I have no Alias setting to select.

Badge +2

Any updates on that last question? I have the same question. I’m not sure if the anonymous user id will somehow be accessible to all devices under the same store account, or if it’s only the device that made the purchase that has access to that anonymous id. 

Badge +2

Your answer as well as the documentation talk about cases where either the original purchase or the restore is done with an identified user.

I have the same question as OP:

What happens if an anonymous user purchases on device A, then restores (still as an anonymous user, but presumably with a different anonymous user ID) on device B?

The docs say, that if my app “Does not have any login mechanism and only relies on RevenueCat anonymous App User IDs.”, I should choose “transfer purchases”.

I want to make sure, that in the case described above, the user has access to the purchase on their Devices A and B (both logged in with the same App Store User that performed the original purchase on device A)

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hey @Shawn Koh  :wave: ,

What happens to an anonymous user’s ID if he buys a subscription on device A, then restores on device B.Will device A still be logged in?

The behavior that occurs will depend on the type of restore behavior you have setup. Here our docs on Restoring Purchases.

I can explain each type of expected behavior:

Alias (legacy)  - If a user buys a subscription with an anonymous ID ( account A) and then restores with an identified user (account B) as long as they are logged in with the same underlying store account these two users will be merged together and both will have access to the subscription. 

Transfer - If a user buys a subscription with an anonymous ID ( account A) and then restores with an identified user (account B) as long as they are logged in with the same underlying store account the store receipt will transfer to account B and only account B will have access to the subscription. 

Black restores - If a user buys a subscription with an anonymous ID ( account A) and then restores with an identified user (account B) this will return an error. 

Let us know if this answered your question!

Badge +1

Any updates?