Question

Offerring Override

• 16 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

I see the option to override an offering on the customer page. 

I’m assuming this doesn’t change the offering the customer has with Apple/Google? 

The user case I'm tried to cater for is the following:

Existing subscriber completes a challenge in app. We reward them with a promotion on their subscription (e.g. 30 days free).

From what I've read you can use iOS offer codes, but its messy. Wondering if anyway to setup a promo in RevCat then target specific user IDs by overriding their offering. Likely not but thought I would ask anyway. 

Thanks all

4 replies

Badge

Hi @Kim,

If I understand correctly what you should be looking for are Promotional Offers instead of the Offering Override, that way you can configure the offer and make the purchase of the Promotional offer with the Free type once the customer completes the challenge

1. Pay-up-front — The customer pays once for a period of time, e.g. $0.99 for 3 months. Allowed durations are 1, 2, 3, 6 and 12 months.
  2. Pay-as-you-go — The customer pays a reduced rate, each period, for a number of periods, e.g. $0.99 per month for 3 months. Allowed durations are 1-12 months. Can only be specified in months.
  3. Free — This is analogous to a free trial, the user receives 1 of a specified period free. The allowed durations are 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year.

Hope it helps!

For future reference and faster response times you can email us at support@revenuecat.com

Badge +4

Thanks Roberto 

Thats correct, option 3. However I'm curious how the Free type applies if user is an existing subscriber? Does the Free Promotional Offer just have no impact as the Apple/Google subscription takes preference (and not cancelled unless by user?) 

Badge

Hi Kim,

My understanding is that its up to you to decide which customers you will show the available offers if any. And that the only limitation is that the customer had or has an active subscription for that product to be eligible for the offer. 

Here are some references in the documentation about it.

2. Show the Promotional Offer to Desired Users

It's up to you to decide which users you want to present a Promotional Offer to. The only eligibility requirements are that the user had (or currently has) an active subscription. Apple automatically enforces this requirement for you - if it's not met users will be shown the regular product regardless of the offer you try to present.

https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/ios-subscription-offers#2-show-the-promotional-offer-to-desired-users

If the introductory offer isn't applied to the purchase in the system payment sheet, double check that:

• The purchasing user is eligible, e.g. the underlying store account hasn't already purchased that product
  • You've waited up to 24 hours for product propagation after adding the offer
  • The free trial offer is marked as Backwards Compatible in Google Play Console (Google Play only)

https://docs.revenuecat.com/docs/subscription-offers

Badge

Hi Kim,

Here is also an interesting post with a walkthrough on how to configure, show, sign and redeem the offer for the eligible customers. I hope you find it useful.

Have a great day!