Solved

Moving paid app model to subscription model

• 26 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I have been tasked with the above conversion for an existing iOS and Android paid app. Everything is set up in the Rev Cat, App Store and Google Play Store for one annual subscription with 1 week free.

My first obstacle is my iOS app is in Objective C and I’m a stranger to Swift (which is used in the excellent walkthrough videos I have found as well as the demo app).

I was wondering if any of you had had this issue and, if so, how you approached the problem?

Did you bridge Swift view controllers to start up your app or work on translating into Obj C?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by sharif 3 January 2022, 18:28

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

For migrating an iOS app from paid to subscriptions, we have a blog post that goes over the migration steps.

The RevenueCat iOS SDK is designed to work with both Swift and Objective-C projects, so that shouldn’t be an issue. It’s been a while since I used Objective-C in an iOS app but I think you can follow the installation process as normal and it should work without too much extra configuration. Let us know how the process goes whenever you get around to it.

Keep in mind that migrating an Android app from paid to subscription is going to require some extra work on your part. iOS receipts contain a original_application_version value which tells you which version the user originally downloaded, which is critical for the migration process since you can grandfather older users in based on the version of the app they originally downloaded. Unfortunately there isn’t an equivalent value on Android, so you’re going to have to deduce when the user downloaded the app some other way (or simply not grandfather in any users.) Perhaps you can release a quick update to record the app version to the device that you can reference when you actually do the migration?