Question

How do you disable existing subscriptions?

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Currently we have 6 active monthly subscriptions products on Apple and Google, however we want to reduce this down to 2. If we disable/delete the other 4 what will happen to the users that are on those subscription products? Will their subscriptions renew at the end of the month?

4 replies

Badge

Hello @Dan Pannasch , I have a similar case as Walter, we have 9 plans under the same group in iOS. We have to dismiss 7 of them, and the best option to me would like to migrate users of these plan to the ones which will remain active. 

Should I create a new subscription group? How can I communicate them that their plan is not supported anymore? What happens then to the 9 plans of the first group?

Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi there! What’s the motivation behind “dismissing” 7 of them? As mentioned above, the downside of disabling those 7 products from sale is that any subscribers you still have on them will have their subscription’s cancelled.

Creating a new Subscription Group with 2 new products that represent the 2 you want to serve would be a perfect solution for your new subscribers, and you can set that up as its own Offering in RevenueCat to make sure that’s what gets served to them. But for the existing subscribers I would not disable the 7 products you’re no longer looking to sell unless you truly have to. By simply not offering them on the paywall in your product anymore, the only new subscribers to them over time would be existing subscribers switching between options in their Subscription Settings.

Badge

Hello @Dan Pannasch , first of all thanks for the response. 7 of them have a wrong price, so If I don’t disable them, they will still appear in iOS Subscription settings page and customers can opt to not correct pricings. 

As far as I understand, you recommend to align the prices (https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/tech-talks/110350/) and maintain all of them and in the meantime create one additional subscription group for new subscribers. This could also help us solving the problem with a product_id which is not correct and we can’t change it at the moment. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hey Walter! On this question, we don’t recommend disabling products that you have active subscribers on, because the behavior with the stores is to end those subscriptions immediately. What’s the benefit you’re looking to get in disabling those 4 subscriptions?

If you’re looking to ensure that new customers aren’t offered them, a different way to accomplish that would be to create a new subscription group on iOS that only includes the 2 products you want to offer. That way, when a customer goes to manage or cancel their subscription, they’ll only see those 2 products offered in that group.

But if there’s a different issue that those 4 subscriptions are causing that you’re looking to address, let me know and we’ll try to recommend a solution for it. Thanks!