Fields in webhooks should be standardized

• 21 October 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I would like to propose that the  is_trial_conversion field be added to all webhook calls. From what I see this is the only field that does not appear in every call. Having well known fields across all event types would save on server side logic to handle missing fields.  While I understand that it may seem irrelevant to have this data in a Cancellation for example, the same can be said about takehome_percentage, is_family_share, and several other fields - yet those do appear.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @Dani Waxman! 👋

Thanks for the great feedback! The reasoning behind this property only being included on renewal events is so that you are able to track which specific renewal event was the conversion, as this field indicates only whether the previous transaction was a free trial or not. For example, a renewal with a previous transaction of a free trial would be considered a trial conversion, but subsequent renewals would not, and would be false for the is_trial_conversion field. In a cancellation event, this property could be considered to always be false as the user didn’t renew with the previous transaction being a trial.

We do have a handful of properties that are only included in specific webhook events, for example cancel_reason and expiration_reason, as we try to provide relevant information for that specific transaction event.

That being said, I’d be happy to go ahead and share this feedback with the engineering team!